Can Chiropractic Care Help With Knee Pain?
Updated: Aug 12, 2022
Knee Pain Chiropractor in Los Angeles
Your knees are a vital part of your musculoskeletal system. Any activity that involves standing up and moving requires the use of your knees, and all of your body's weight is put onto them. Because of this, knee pain can seriously interfere with your ability to function normally, alongside the difficulty of dealing with a painful condition. A chiropractor can help to identify the source of your knee pain and use a variety of treatments to help you heal more quickly.
What causes knee pain?
Knee pain can be grouped into acute injuries and chronic conditions. An acute injury is when you damage a part of your knee, be it the knee joint itself, the muscles that connect to the joint, or the connective tissue surrounding your knee. You can usually expect to recover fully from an acute injury.
Chronic knee conditions, on the other hand, can develop over time and can sometimes last for the rest of your life. These can include conditions such as:
• damaged cartilage
How chiropractic care can help with knee pain
Acute knee pain
If you are dealing with an acute knee injury, it will usually get better on its own. But a chiropractor can help it to heal more quickly and can help to prevent it from getting injured again in the future. They can also help to stop your acute knee injury from leading to a chronic knee condition.
Your chiropractor will first take a medical history and will examine the injury, which can include a physical examination as well as tests such as X-rays and MRI scans. Then they will develop a treatment plan to help you recover from your knee injury. Treatments can include:
• heat and cold therapy to reduce inflammation and improve blood flow
• manual adjustments of the knee joints to help mobilize it
• stretches and exercises to prevent stiffness and improve mobility
• ultrasound to reduce pain
• advice about exercise to reduce injury and aid your recovery
• trigger point therapy - massage that targets specific pain trigger points in your knee
Chronic knee pain
Chronic knee pain can take many forms, and your chiropractor will be able to modify your treatment plan to take into account your needs and lifestyle as well as the nature of your knee condition. Many of the treatments for chronic knee pain are the same as those for acute knee pain, but your chiropractor may also look deeper into the rest of your body to help support your knee. This can include:
• posture advice to help reduce any unnecessary pressure on the knee joint
• spinal adjustments to prevent referred pain from elsewhere in the body from reaching the knee and to reduce any pressure that could be being put on the joint
• nutrition advice to help you lose weight to reduce the strain on your knees and to improve your overall health and mobility
Knee pain can be either acute or chronic, and a chiropractor can help you to deal with many conditions that fall into either category. They will take into account the way your body functions overall, your medical history, the specifics of your knee condition, and your wants and needs to develop a treatment plan that will help you to recover more quickly or manage your long-term condition so that you have a better quality of life.